Image management case study:
The Australian Geographic – the award-winning quarterly journal of the Australian Geographic Society - boasts an extensive photographic archive of tens of thousands of quality images. There was a driving need to digitise the collection, to seek out long-term collection management solutions, and to explore commercialisation possibilities. Australian Geographic was in need of a strategy and supporting infrastructure that would secure a sustainable future for its business.
In implementing a solution for Australian Geographic, Media Equation (me™) oversaw:
- the selection, cataloguing and digitisation of the current archived collection of over 19,000 items – mainly from 35mm transparency format
- the development and provision of a lookat.me™ Online Image Gallery equipped with e-commerce.
The me™ solution for Australian Geographic has introduced:
- convenient automated distribution and access of the collection to a range of client-users – including internal graphics staff, marketing staff and external reproduction agencies
- retail functionality to facilitate the sale of color prints to Australian Geographic members and the general public
- auotmated rights management to handle the disbursement of royalties to contrbuting photographers
- a strategy to expand the services offered to a wider market providing for additional revenue streams